Monday, September 13, 2010

Faith vs. Worry

How many times have you found yourself saying "Oh, I'm so worried about my friend, my spouse, my brother, my sister, my child..."? Some of us more often than others, but as my mother says, I'd lay dollars to donuts that it something that comes out of your mouth from time to time, especially during times of stress. Why do we do it? Why do we give others our worries? And when we give them our worries, what are we actually saying? "I don't believe you can handle things?" "I don't have faith in you?" "I don't think things will turn out your way?" Now really, who in their right mind would actually say that to anybody they cared about? Yet, without meaning to, that's exactly what we are saying. We need to realize that our worry won't help the people we love, but, our faith in them will. Next time you have concern about someone that you love, instead of thinking or saying, "Oh, I'm so worried about you" perhaps instead you could think or say, "I have faith in you." " I know you'll be able to handle this." What a gift your faith is. Rather than weighing them down with your fears and worries, you give them wings to fly with your caring and your faith...which is really what you meant to do the whole time, isn't it?

...and while we're on the topic. How about doing the same thing for your very own self? All too often when we are faced with an overwhelming task or problem we go straight into worry. "How will I be able to handle that?" "What if I don't succeed?" "What will people think of me if I fail?" What happens instead if you have faith in yourself and your ability to handle the situation? "I'm scared, but it will be O.K." "I know eventually I'll figure out what I need to do." Instead of imagining yourself failing, allow yourself to image that you handle the situation, solve the problem, cope really well. I'm not talking about being PollyAnna and thinking everything is rosy. I'm talking about giving yourself hope and faith in your abilities. Infused with a higher power and supported by wisdom beyond ourselves, if we simply tell ourselves that we can handle anything we truly can...think about it. What you say to yourself really does make a difference.

So, faith vs. worry. Which do you choose? (My son says he chooses faith. Yay!)

Be happy and well,
Sari Roth-Roemer

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete